Here are changes suggested by Thom Stanton to accommodate tiny houses on foundations in Virginia:
Suggested Changes to the IRC
by Thom Stanton, American Tiny House Association’s Virginia State Chapter Leader
Thom defines a small house as being not more than 500 sq ft. and suggests these changes:
Section R327, Small Houses
- Access to the basements, underfloor areas and lofts shall be by means of alternating tread devices, ladders, or any means that complies with Section R311.
- The minimum floor areas of Section R304 shall not apply.
- The minimum ceiling height requirements of Section R305 shall not apply.
- Lofts used as sleeping areas shall not be required to comply with Section R310 provided that the loft opens to a floor containing an emergency escape and rescue opening.
- Basements and underfloor areas shall not be required to comply with Section R310 provided that the
- basement or underfloor area does not contain sleeping rooms.
- The minimum door sizes of Section R311.2 shall not apply.
- The hallway width requirements of Section R311.6 shall not apply.
- The guard requirements of Section R312 shall not apply to lofts.
- The automatic fire sprinkler requirements of Section R313 shall not apply.