- Establish “no minimum sq ft” zones for tiny houses on foundations.
- Older neighborhoods that already have many small homes are good candidates for these zones.
- In newer communities, allow for the creation of pocket neighborhoods, clusters of tiny homes, ideal for seniors or students.
- Streamline the permitting process.
- Offer simple, economical, pre-approved, tiny house plans for purchase by prospective home owners.
- Charge reduced fees for inspections and hook ups for tiny houses.
- Create an easy-to-follow outline of the steps required, from applying for the initial permit to obtaining the occupancy certificate. Publish this in a prominent place on your town’s website.
- Create zones that allow an accessory dwelling unit in the backyard of an established home.
- Include tiny houses on wheels in the definition of an accessory dwelling unit, provided the tiny house has adequate insulation for year-round living, and has proper sanitation and heating systems.
- Create instructions on how to register a tiny house on wheels with the DMV.
- Be sure to use the words “tiny house on wheels,” along with “homemade trailer,” if appropriate.
- Be clear and specific regarding what documents are required (bill of materials, receipts, certificate of origin for trailer?).
- List any inspections that are required.
- State whether the tiny house on wheels must meet NFPA 119.2 or A119.5 and how the owners can verify that their house does.
- Train your DMV staff so that everyone understands what the rules are and can explain them to the public.
- Eliminate maximum lengths of stay in RV parks.
Want to help YOUR town become tiny house friendly? Share these steps with your local zoning & planning officials and your DMV. Let’s create a tiny house friendly America!
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]