Here are the rules for registering a tiny house on wheels in CA. It is quite a process!
Take the following to a CA DMV office:
- A completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).
- A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
- A completed Statement of Construction (Form REG 5036).
- Invoices, receipts, certificates of origin, bills of sale for major parts (to prove you own the vehicle).
- If you don’t have sufficient proof you own the vehicle and the parts, you will need to submit a motor vehicle bond (if your parts are worth $5,000 or more).
- Brake and light adjustment certificates OR a completed Statement of Facts (Form REG 256).
- A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
Below is the official link: