To begin the registration process, be sure to bring with you to the DMV, proof of identity (driver’s license, passport, etc.) and proof of ownership (receipts and/or title).

  1. First register the flatbed trailer:
    • If you purchased the trailer, an MSO* is required. The trailer will be registered as a TL.
    • If you built the trailer, you will register it as an ASPT (Assembled from Parts). Receipts and photographs showing how the trailer was built may be required. An inspection is required.
  2. Once the home is completed and put onto the trailer, complete an affidavit which indicates the conversion to an RV.
  3. Tow the tiny house to a weighing station to obtain a certified weight.
  4. Come to the DMV with receipts and photographs showing how the home was built. Your tiny house might be inspected, but recent reports indicate this is getting less common.
  5. The title will then be converted to a Travel Trailer (TV) designation, or, if the home is over 400 square feet, a Park Trailer (PT).

* MSO (Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin): a receipt for a component such as an engine, frame, etc. MSOs are required by state DMVs as part of the inspection process for home-made vehicles to ensure that components were not stolen. Frame and engine manufacturers usually stamp serial numbers into their components. Even if filed off, the serial numbers can be revealed via special techniques.

An MCO (Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin) is similar to an MSO, but a more formalized document. Some states require MCOs; some are fine with MSOs.